Giving to the Department of Chemistry
Supporting the Department of Chemistry is a wonderful way to help the department continue its tradition of excellence. Gifts from alumni provide much needed additional support for students, faculty and the academic program. You may choose to give to the department's general fund (Special Projects), give to a named fund, or create your own fund.
The fundraising focus for chemistry is support for faculty, students and research to:
- maintain and enhance our national reputation and rankings;
- ensure that the University of Minnesota is the first choice of the most talented students; and
- hire faculty members who are collaborative, renowned in their fields, and dedicated to students to maintain our distinction of having the highest percentage of faculty with teaching awards.
Fellowship, Scholarship, and Support Funds
There are a number of existing funds to support undergraduate and graduate students as well as to provide support for faculty and the department. Many of these funds can be augmented by your contributions, or you can choose to set up your own fund.
- Chemistry Special Projects Fund (#3261)
The most important fund in the department, the Special Projects Fund provides unrestricted support for scholarships, fellowships, faculty and the academic program.
- Chemistry Faculty Support Fund (#5015)
This fund was established to promote faculty excellence in the department by providing funds to support faculty.
- Izaak M. Kolthoff Fund (#1073)
Provides resources to bring in outstanding lecturers and to offer fellowships to top graduate students in honor of the late Professor Kolthoff.
- John Overend Memorial Fund (#3260)
To provide support for fellowships in memory of the late Professor Overend, a former faculty member.
- John Wertz Fellowship in Chemistry (#5228)
The fund provides support for graduate fellowships in the department in memory of the late Professor Wertz.
- Paul G. and Gerda Ann Gassman Chemistry Graduate Student Travel Fund (#8486)
Provides one-time awards to allow graduate students involved in organic chemistry to present their research findings at a national conference
Make a gift online to the Department of Chemistry.
(Please take care to designate to the specific program or area you would like to fund on the next page.)
If you have questions about giving or need assistance in making a gift, please contact Kathy Peters-Martell, Senior Development Officer, at 612-626-8282 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about giving to the College of Science & Engineering.